- What is your country’s population?
- Has your government secured enough vaccine doses for your people?
- population /pop-yuh-LEY-shuhn/
- government /GUHV-ern-muhnt/
- case /keys /
- advise /ad-VAHYZ/
- necessary /NES-uh-ser-ee/
[noun] – all the people living in a particular country, area, or place
This city has a population of more than 1,000,000.
[noun] – the group of people who officially control a country
The embassy will continue discussions with the Chinese government.
[noun] – a particular situation or example of something
The police studied the case of the missing necklace.
[verb] – to give someone advice
I strongly advise you not to do this.
[adjective] – needed in order to achieve a particular result
I haven’t got the necessary tools.
True or False:
- Covid-19 has been declared a national emergency in four of Australia’s eight biggest cities.
- At midnight of June 29, 2021, Perth, Western Australia’s capital, commenced a four-day lockdown.
- According to government figures, the four cities have a combined population of more than 10.2 million people.
- The federal government secured enough vaccine doses to prevent “circuit breaker” lockdowns.
- The residents of Perth and the surrounding Peel region have been advised to stay at home.
Fill in the blanks:
- She had a severe __________ of chicken pox.
- Nigeria has a __________ of nearly 100 million.
- I __________ you to buy one. It may come in handy one day.
- The __________ has imposed export tax on some products.
- Give the ___________ information but keep it simple.