©University of Geneva via CNN
- Have you seen a lightning rod before?
- What do you think lightning rods are for?
- giant /JAHY-uhnt/
- interest /IN-ter-ist/
- active /AK-tiv/
- last /lahst/
- experiment /ik-SPER-uh-muhnt/
[adjective] – extremely large
You can see giant pandas in China.
[noun] – the feeling of wanting to give your attention to something or of wanting to be involved with and to discover more about something
She has shown interest in wood carving lately.
[adjective] – (of a thing) working; operative
The new smartphone app is now active.
[verb] – continue to exist
The storm may last until tomorrow afternoon.
[noun] – a test done to learn something or to discover if something works or is true
They will do another experiment next month.
True or False:
- The giant laser was placed on a mountaintop on July 12.
- Swiss physicist Jean-Pierre Wolf leads the study.
- A no-fly zone will be implemented within seven kilometers of the laser’s range once it is active.
- The test will last until October this year.
- The next experiment will be held at an airport.
Fill in the blanks:
- Is the computer _______? I need to use it.
- Wayne has an _______ in making videos.
- Was the _______ successful?
- The warm weather will _______ until next month.
- I saw him sitting under the _______ tree over there.