©University of Geneva via CNN
- haul /hawl/
- physicist /FIZ-uh-sist/
- pose /pohz/
- summit /SUHM-it/
- module /MOJ-ool/
[verb] – to pull something heavy or to transport something over long distances
They used a crane to haul the car out of the lake.
[noun] – a person who studies physics or whose job is connected with physics
Professor Khan was a physicist who used to study radio technology.
[verb] – to cause something, especially a problem or difficulty
Suddenly increasing the selling price can pose a threat to our sales.
[noun] – the highest point of a mountain
They successfully reached the summit this year.
[noun] – one of a set of separate parts that, when combined, form a complete whole
Please make sure to bring the robot modules to us safely.
The rod was brought to the summit disassembled in a complex operation of multiple trips via cable car and helicopters. “It’s a huge laser — it takes a large truck to transport it, which is why it was built like a puzzle, with modules that can be put together on site,” Wolf said. His team used 18 tons of concrete blocks to secure the laser array to its base and stabilize its structure. The assembly took two weeks, but the laser can now be switched on for testing. The trial will last until September this year, and if successful, the next experiment will be at an airport.
- Are there any lightning rods in your area? Please tell me more about it.
- How does your country control lightning?
- What other methods would you recommend to improve the laser if you were one of the researchers?
- In your opinion, will the testing be successful?
- Aside from an airport, where else should the team place a laser-based lightning rod? Why?
- lightning rod