©Sue Ogrocki via AP
- What large companies do you know?
- Are you aware of today’s climate problems?
- damage /DAM-ij/
- cancel /KAN-suhl/
- pipeline /PAHYP-lahyn/
- satisfied /SAT-is-fahyd/
- burst /burst/
[noun] – money that is paid to someone by a person or organization who has been responsible for causing them some injury or loss
The business tries to recover the damages from the typhoon.
[verb] – to decide that an organized event will not happen, or to stop an order for goods or services that you no longer want
The project was cancelled due to a lack of budget.
[noun] – a series of connected tubes for transporting gas, oil, or water, usually over long distances
The oil company starts another pipeline project for provinces.
[adjective] – pleased because you have got what you wanted, or because something has happened in the way that you wanted:
The teacher is satisfied with her students’ progress.
[noun] – the act of breaking open so that what is inside comes out
A burst in the water pipe led to a flood in the entire village.
True or False:
- TC Energy Corporation tries to recover more than $6 billion worth of damages from the United States.
- The damages are from the energy company’s Keystone XL pipeline project.
- The Trump administration cancelled the project last year.
- Environmentalists were happy with the decision to cancel the project.
- The cancellation would lead to thousands of job losses, according to TC Energy.
Fill in the blanks:
- A _______ in the oil pipe caused panic among the employees of the gas station.
- My dad works in an oil company; he’s in-charge of oil _______ projects.
- The investors should pay for the _______ of the project cancellation.
- The event was _______ due to bad weather.
- Both teams were _______ with the judges’ decision.