©Sue Ogrocki via AP
- Do industries need to become cleaner and greener? Why or why not?
- How does your country limit the effects of climate crisis?
- corporation /kawr-puh-REY-shuhn/
- recover /ri-KUHV-er/
- violate /VAHY-uh-leyt/
- argue /AHR-gyoo/
- layoff /LEY-awf/
[noun] – a large company or group of companies that is controlled together as a single organization
My dad works as an engineer for a German corporation.
[verb] – to get back something lost or spent
The restaurant is trying to recover the amount of its loss from the recent pandemic.
[verb] – to break or act against something, especially a law, agreement, principle, or something that should be treated with respect
Uploading something that isn’t yours violates copyright laws.
[verb] – to give the reasons for your opinion, idea, belief, etc.
Many citizens argue about the recently implemented law.
[noun] – an occasion when a company stops employing someone, sometimes temporarily, because the company does not have enough money or enough work
The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in several layoffs.
Environmentalists were delighted with the administration’s decision after a decade of arguing that the project, which aimed to carry oil from the tar sands of Canada into the United States, would worsen the climate crisis. To pay economic damages from the project’s cancellation, on July 2, 2021, TC Energy filed a Notice of Intent with the US State Department to initiate a legacy NAFTA claim under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. According to TC Energy, the permit cancellation would “directly lead to the layoff of thousands of union workers.” After the news of the energy company suing the US administration came up, a fire broke out in the Gulf of Mexico due to a pipeline burst. “We’re just not treating [climate change] like the planetary emergency it is,” Emily Atkin, founder of the Heated newsletter and MSNBC contributor, said in an interview. “Right now, everyone should be a climate reporter, and if you’re not a climate reporter right now, you will be, whether you realize it or not” Atkin added.
- What pipeline project did the US government cancel?
- How much worth of damages is TC Energy Corporation trying to recover from the government?
- What US administration canceled the project’s permit?
- Why were environmentalists in favor of the project’s permit cancellation?
- According to TC Energy, what would be the effect of the cancellation on its manpower?
- Could you name one famous corporation in your country?
- Have you experienced compensating for something? Please share.
- What can the world do to address the climate crisis?
- Are you in favor of the environmentalists’ argument regarding the project?
- How do you understand Emily Atkin’s statement: “Right now, everyone should be a climate reporter, and if you’re not a climate reporter right now, you will be, whether you realize it or not”?