©Sue Ogrocki via AP
- recoup /ri-KOOP/
- revoke /ri-VOHK/
- obligation /ob-li-GEY-shuhn/
- assert /uh-SURT/
- compensate /KOM-puhn-seyt/
[verb] – to get back money that you have spent or lost
The investors seek to recoup their money after the project’s bankruptcy.
[verb] – to say officially that an agreement, permission, a law, etc. is no longer in effect
The government revoked its initial decision of not requiring face shields in commercial establishments.
[noun] – a legal or moral duty to do something
The company has an obligation to generate value for its shareholders.
[verb] – to state an opinion or claim a right forcefully
She asserted the psychological effects of social media.
[verb] – to pay someone money in exchange for something that has been lost or damaged or for some problem
To compensate the passengers for the delayed flight, the airline gave them travel vouchers.
The administration’s decision marked a win for environmentalists after a decade, who asserted that the climate crisis would worsen due to the project, which aimed to carry oil from the tar sands of Canada into the United States. To compensate for the economic damages from the project’s revocation, on July 2, 2021, TC Energy (TRP) filed a Notice of Intent with the US State Department to initiate a legacy NAFTA claim under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. The permit cancelation, according to TC Energy, would “directly lead to the layoff of thousands of union workers.” Following the news of TC Energy suing the US administration, a fire broke out in the Gulf of Mexico due to a pipeline burst. “We’re just not treating [climate change] like the planetary emergency it is,” Emily Atkin, founder of the Heated newsletter and MSNBC contributor, said in an interview. “Right now, everyone should be a climate reporter, and if you’re not a climate reporter right now, you will be, whether you realize it or not” Atkin added.
- What is the largest energy corporation in your country?
- Have you experienced being compensated for something? Please tell me more about it.
- If you were in the position, would you also revoke the permit of the said pipeline project? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with the environmentalists’ argument regarding the pipeline project?
- What is your understanding of reporter Emily Atkin’s statement: “Right now, everyone should be a climate reporter, and if you’re not a climate reporter right now, you will be, whether you realize it or not”?
- climate crisis