- How often do you watch movies?
- What kinds of movies do you like?
- opera /OP-ruh/
- wooden /WOOD-n/
- puppet /PUHP-it/
- audience /AW-dee-uhns/
- strange /streynj/
[noun] – a musical play in which most of the words are sung, or plays and music of this type
His mother is an opera singer in Italy.
[adjective] – made of wood
Our house has a wooden fence.
[noun] – a toy in the shape of a person or animal that you can move with strings or by putting your hand inside
Alex enjoys watching puppet shows.
[noun] – the group of people together in one place to watch or listen to a play, film, someone speaking, etc.
The audience was amazed by the actors’ performances.
[adjective] – unusual and unexpected, or difficult to understand
The theme of your event is a bit strange.
Henry (Adam Driver) loves to wear a dressing gown and a pair of slippers in The Ape of God, his stand-up show. His girlfriend Ann (Marion Cotillard), on the other hand, is a famous opera diva. Despite their differences, they marry and have a daughter named Annette. But Annette is no ordinary girl: she is a wooden puppet with ET’s glowing heart. As a musical, it didn’t fail to amaze the audience. But the second half of the show made things stranger. Annette begins to sing in short and high-pitched noises along with Ann’s beautiful singing voice. The film slowly turns from a melodrama to a dark fairy tale.
“Annette” is both strange and interesting, and a must-see film for adults who enjoy bizarre movies.
True or False:
- “Annette” is directed by Leos Carax.
- Adam Driver plays the role of Henry McHenry.
- Ann is a ballet dancer.
- Annette is a wooden puppet.
- Annette begins to sing along Ann during the first half of the film.
Fill in the blanks:
- Could you put the _______ table inside, please?
- There’s something _______ about the story she’s reading.
- I love singing. I want to be an _______ singer someday.
- The _______ enjoyed the musical.
- How many _______ do you own?