- viral /VAHY-ruhl/
- antibody /AN-ti-bod-ee/
- reintroduce /ree-in-truh-DOOS/
- asymptomatic /ey-simp-tuh-MAT-ik/
- eradicate /ih-RAD-i-keyt/
[adjective] – caused by a virus
Antibiotics are useless against viral infections such as influenza.
[noun] – a protein produced in the blood that fights diseases by attacking and killing harmful bacteria, viruses, etc.
The body makes a specific antibody for each disease we encounter.
[verb] – to put something into use, operation, or a place after it has not been used or in a place for some time
There are plans to reintroduce fish to the water and revive the fishing industry.
[adjective] – showing no symptoms of a particular disease
Many patients are asymptomatic or have mild flu-like symptoms.
[verb] – to get rid of something completely or destroy something bad
The aim is to eradicate the disease for good.
According to the study’s authors, there has been no evidence of pet-to-owner transmission to date, although it would be impossible to detect while the virus was still easily shared between humans. The majority of affected pets are asymptomatic or have minimal Covid symptoms. Utrecht University researchers sent a mobile veterinary clinic to homes in the Netherlands that had tested positive for Covid in the previous 200 days.
“Blood samples were analyzed for antibodies suggesting a past exposure to Covid, while swabs were collected from their pet cats and dogs to check for indications of a present infection. At the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, the findings were presented:
• A current infection was found in 4.2 percent of the participants.
• Antibodies were found in 17.4 percent of the participants.
All of the PCR-positive (polymerase chain reaction) animals eradicated the infection and developed antibodies, according to follow-up studies. According to the experts, viral transmission is most likely to go from human to animal rather than the other way around.”
- Have you heard about human to animal viral transmission?
- Do you know anyone who was infected by Covid?
- What would you do if your pet were infected by Covid?
- Do you agree with the idea that pets could act as a reservoir of the virus and reintroduce it into the human population?
- In your opinion, what should be done to avoid infecting pets?