- In your country, are people allowed to smoke on the streets?
- Do companies in your office have no-smoking policies?
- ban /ban/
- decade /DEK-eyd/
- invest /in-VEST/
- harmful /HAHRM-fuhl/
- financial /fi-NAN-shuhl/
[verb] – to forbid (= refuse to allow) something, especially officially
Most schools ban the use of cell phones inside classrooms.
[noun] – a period of ten years, especially a period such as 2010 to 2019
She worked as an accountant for a decade.
[verb] – to put money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage
We would like to invest our money in local products.
[adjective] – causing harm
Watching too much television can be harmful to your health.
[adjective] – relating to money or how money is managed
He is currently going through some financial difficulties.
In 2008, Philip Morris invested $8 million for the development of less harmful alternatives to cigarettes. As part of their Beyond Nicotine strategy, the company also struck a $1.2 billion deal to own UK asthma inhaler maker Vectura. The agreement has been met with doubts from anti-smoking campaigners. In a statement addressing Philip Morris’ plans, Deborah Arnott, the CEO of a UK public health charity, said, “Philip Morris has declared that it wants to see the end of smoking, but how can their goal be taken seriously when they sell more than one in ten cigarettes smoked globally?” As of now, an increasing number of financial organizations have promised to implement tobacco-free policies. Based on the World Health Organization (WHO), cigarette smoking causes more than 8 million deaths per year.
- What is the goal of Philip Morris in the UK?
- Why did Philip Morris invest $8 million in 2008?
- According to CEO Olczak, how should the UK treat cigarettes?
- What did Debora Arnott say about Philip Morris’ goal?
- According to WHO, how many people die each year because of cigarette smoking?
- When was the last time you heard news on cigarettes/smoking?
- Do you know anyone who is strongly against smoking?
- If you were asked by an activist to sign a petition against smoking, would you sign it?
- What do you think of CEO Jacek Olczak’s statement: “We can see the world without cigarettes.” ?
- In your opinion, will cigarette companies still be around 20 years from now? Please explain your answer.