©Kazunori Takishima via CNN
- Which athlete are you excited to see at the Olympics?
- Are you familiar with the Guinness World Records?
- ultimate /UHL-tuh-mit/
- witness /WIT-nis/
- passion /PASH-uhn/
- committee /kuh-MIT-ee/
- determined /dih-TUR-mind/
[adjective] – most extreme or important because either the original or final, or the best or worst
Karen’s ultimate goal is to run her own beauty salon.
[verb] – a person who sees an event happening
The children were witnessing the fireworks show for the first time.
[noun] – a very powerful feeling, for example of love, hate, anger, or other emotion
Kenzo has a passion for cooking.
[noun] – a small group of people chosen to represent a larger organization and either make decisions or collect information for it
The social committee will decide the theme of the party.
[adjective] – wanting to do something very much and not allowing anyone or any difficulties to stop you
He is determined to win the spelling bee competition.
Takishima’s passion for the Olympics started in 2005 after he attended a figure ice skating competition. “Seeing Shizuka Arakawa claim a gold medal inspired me so much,” he said. Since then, he has attended every Olympic game to support Japan. The 45-year-old who works as a real estate businessman expressed his disappointment in Tokyo’s organizing commitee for their decision to ban the audience. The money he spent on the tickets can be refunded but not his excitement. “All I have now is sadness; I cry every time I look at the tickets,” he said.
Takishima also lost his chance this year to set a Guinness World Record for attending the most Olympic competitions. But his spirit, just like an athlete’s, is unwavering, as he is determined to try again. “I will continue to visit and support the Olympics until the day I die,” he said. The next Olympics in 2024 will be held in Paris, France.
- When did Takishima’s passion for the Olympics begin?
- What is Takishima’s job?
- Why was Takishima disappointed?
- According to the article, what can be refunded?
- What other opportunity did Takishima lose this year?
- When was the last time you attended a sporting event?
- Do you know anyone who is an Olympics superfan?
- If you were Takishima’s friend, what would you say to comfort him?
- What do you think of Takishima’s passion for the Olympics?
- In your opinion, was it right for the Tokyo organizing committee to ban spectators?