©Pablo Barcelon via CNN Philippines
- Is your city on a lockdown now?
- Have you received any financial help from your government?
- allow /uh-LOU/
- announce /uh-NOUNS/
- painful /PEYN-fuhl/
- financial /fi-NAN-shuhl/
- case /keys/
[verb] – to give permission for someone to do something, or to not prevent something from happening
The city does not allow smoking in all public areas.
[verb] – to make something known or tell people about something officially
The principal announced the dates of the summer vacation.
[adjective] – causing emotional or physical pain
His pet’s death was too painful for him.
[adjective] – relating to money or how money is managed
The government is giving financial help to the families affected by the storm.
[noun] – a particular situation or example of something
The number of cases of the disease has risen.
True or False:
- Metro Manila will be locked down until August 30, based on the article.
- Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the decision was ‘painful’ but very important.
- The action aims to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 Alpha strain.
- Communities affected would be most likely to receive financial support from the government.
- According to the Department of Health (DOH) of the Philippines, the cases could double up to 11,000 if health guidelines would not be followed.
Fill in the blanks:
- The judges’ decision was _______ but he accepted his loss bravely.
- The hospital _______ only three visitors for each patient.
- The _______ of Alzheimer’s disease is bigger in older people.
- The school will _______ the top students tomorrow.
- The company is giving _______ help to its employees affected by the earthquake.