©Pablo Barcelon via CNN Philippines
- authorize /AW-thuh-rahyz/
- amid /uh-MID/
- imperative /im-PER-uh-tiv/
- metropolis /mi-TROP-uh-lis/
- unrestrained /uhn-ri-SREYND/
[verb] – to give official permission for something to happen, or to give someone official permission to do something
The school has authorized students to wear smart casual attire every Friday.
[preposition] – in the middle of or surrounded by
The old building stood like a rock amid the hurricane.
[adjective] – extremely important or urgent
It is absolutely imperative that we finish this project by next week.
[noun] – a very large city, often the most important city in a large area or country
Paris is a busy and crowded metropolis.
[adjective] – not limited or controlled
Manufacturing companies will remain unrestrained despite the current health crisis.
According to the Philippines’ Department of Health (DOH), if health protocols would not be strictly observed, the Delta variant could intensify Metro Manila’s daily new COVID-19 cases to up to 11,000 by the end of September. Under the ECQ, only the essential establishments and industries are allowed to operate. Hospitals, groceries, pharmacies, delivery/courier services, some manufacturing companies, and business process outsourcing (BPO) will remain fully serviceable.
- What health protocols were implemented in your country to fight the coronavirus?
- Has your country recorded a case of the COVID-19 Delta variant?
- Aside from strict lockdowns, what other health protocols should be implemented in health crises like this?
- Do you think COVID-19 vaccines are effective in fighting the virus?
- Would lockdowns help countries in fighting the spread of deadly diseases like COVID-19? Why or why not?
- financial aid