- sluggish /SLUHG-ish/
- accomplish /uh-KOM-plish/
- feat /feet/
- scorching /SKAWR-ching/
- frown upon /froun-uh-PON/
[adjective] – moving or operating more slowly than usual
Economic recovery has so far been sluggish.
[verb] – to succeed in doing something good
As you accomplish tasks, cross them off your list.
[noun] – something difficult needing a lot of skill, strength, courage, etc. to achieve it
The Eiffel Tower is a remarkable feat of engineering.
[adjective] – very hot
It was scorching and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.
[phrasal verb] – to disapprove of something
Smoking is frowned upon in many restaurants.
Furthermore, Horigome accomplished his feat by upsetting the sport’s famous figure and world number one Nyjah Huston, who stumbled in the sweltering heat and finished seventh out of eight competitors. Horigome, 22, struggled on his early runs in scorching temperatures in Tokyo’s Koto City, but regained his composure at the vital moment, landing four of the five final tricks and earning 9.50 on his penultimate run. Skateboarding, which has its roots in youth culture, has been frowned upon in Japan at times, but after watching the hometown hero win in a nail-biting final, that may change.
- Do you like watching the Olympic games?
- Who is your favorite athlete?
- What would you feel if you were given a chance to represent your country as an athlete in the Olympic games?
- Do you agree that skateboarding will be more famous in Japan after Yuto Horigome won the gold medal?
- Why do you think skateboarding was added to the Olympics?