©Sotheby’s and MGM resorts via CNN
- Are there museums in your city?
- Do you enjoy looking at paintings?
- famous /FEY-mus/
- locate /LOH-keyt/
- organize /AWR-guh-nahyz/
- produce /puh-DOOS/
- opportunity /op-er-TOO-ni-tee/
[adjective] – known and recognized by many people
Many tourists want to book a table at the famous restaurant.
[verb] – to be in a particular place
The new convenience store is located at Lombard street.
[verb] – to make arrangements for something to happen
All the teachers will meet today to organize year 11’s field trip.
[verb] – to make something or bring something into existence
The town in Italy produced good wine this morning.
[noun] – an occasion or situation that makes it possible to do something that you want to do or have to do, or the possibility of doing something
My coach gave me the opportunity to train at the best sports gym.
Attendees of the sale can expect Picasso’s Femme au béret rouge-orange, the oil painting of Marie-Thérèse Walter, a young French woman who was his lover and muse. Other works that are going to be sold include: “Buste d’homme,” his painting from 1969, and Aiguière — Visage, a white terracotta vessel he produced in 1954. According to Brooke Lampley, Sotheby’s chairman, the pieces cover the entire period of Picasso’s career.
The sale which falls around the artist’s 140th birthday is an important event in Las Vegas’ art business. It is one of MGM Resorts’ goals to turn Las Vegas into a bigger art destination, Lampley said. MGM Resort group’s chief hospitality officer Ari Kastrati also shared their plan of creating a more open art collection that would give opportunities to artists from different communities.
True or False:
- Pablo Picasso’s works are set to go up for sale in Las Vegas.
- Sotheby’s will organize the sale.
- “Buste d’homme” will not be sold at the event.
- The sale falls around Picasso’s 140th birthday.
- MGM Resorts wants to turn Las Vegas into a bigger art destination.
Fill in the blanks:
- My parents gave me the ________ to study at the best school.
- My father’s company ________ bottled tea drinks.
- I met a ______ singer at the park last Thursday.
- My uncle’s house is ________ near the river.
- I will ______ a surprise birthday party for my cousin.