©Jake Michaels, courtesy of Setanta Books
- How many technology devices do you own?
- Is technology important?
- age /eyj/
- modern /MOD-ern/
- traditional /truh-DISH-uh-nl/
- secondary (education) /SEK-uhn-der-ee/
- social /SOH-shuhl/
[noun] – a particular period in time
People were more active before the modern age.
[adjective] – designed and made using the most recent ideas and methods
William’s family lives with modern technology.
[adjective] – following or belonging to the ways of behaving or beliefs that have been established for a long time
The village has its own traditional foods.
[adjective] – relating to the education of children approximately between the ages of 11 and 18 years old
The organization offers free secondary education in the city.
[adjective] – social people like to meet and spend time with other people
Anna became more social this year.
They’re a group of Christians who don’t use modern technology and, sometimes, even electricity. Photographer Jake Michaels visited three Mennonite communities to see their traditional lifestyle. He was surprised by how friendly they are despite living far from cities. “People were lot more hospitable than I expected, and everyone was really understanding,” Michaels shared in a phone interview. He discovered a world frozen in time, where life is centered on families free of modern technology. But because the communities rely much on labor, only 5% of the total population have finished secondary education.
Some people, however, own devices such as cellphones and digital cameras. The people don’t see this as a danger to their society, though. “It definitely impacted the way that I shoot going forward. It made me more interactive and more social with people rather, than just taking photos,” Michaels said.
True or False:
- The Mennonites live in Belize.
- Jake Michaels visited four Mennonite communities.
- The Mennonites were friendly, according to a phone interview with Michaels.
- Only 5% of the Mennonites’ population have completed primary education.
- All Mennonites do not own devices.
Fill in the blanks:
- Japan has developed much _______ technologies.
- My father teaches science at a _______ school.
- It is mostly unknown how people in the Stone _______ lived.
- Children must learn the importance of being _______ by playing with others.
- Countries have areas where people still live in a _______ lifestyle.