©Francois Mori / AP via CNN
- What is the speed limit in your city/town?
- Does traffic make you stressed?
- argue /AHR-gyoo/
- accessible /ak-SES-uh-buhl /
- widen /WAHYD-n/
- conduct /KON-duhkt/
- psychological /sahy-kuh-LOJ-i-kuhl /
[verb] – to give the reasons for your opinion, idea, belief, etc
She argued that time is more important than anything else.
[adjective] – able to be reached or easily got
The area is accessible to commuters.
[verb] – to become, or to make something greater in width
We need to widen the office space.
[verb] – to organize and perform a particular activity
The students will conduct an experiment for their science class.
[adjective] – relating to the human mind and feelings
He cannot sleep due to a psychological problem.
Based on the results of a poll conducted by the Parisian City Hall, only 59% of the city residents were in favor of the new limit. A delivery driver described the rule as “crazy” and likened it to riding on “electric scooters”. Parisian leader David Belliard, who is in charge of transport, hopes that the limit would encourage more people to walk and use bikes. Moreover, officials said that the change is expected to reduce total road accidents by an estimated 25% and fatal accidents by 40%, attributing to a World Health Organization research. The rule change is also intended to reduce noise pollution, which had negative physical and psychological effects on people, including stress and depression.
- What is the new speed limit in Paris?
- When did the change take effect?
- Under the new law, what will happen to 60,000 parking spaces?
- How many percent of residents are in favor of the new limit?
- What are the psychological effects of noise pollution on people?
- Have you ever seen a driver exceeding the speed limit in your city?
- When was the last time you were stuck in traffic?
- If you were a resident of Paris who drives to work, how would you feel about the new speed limit?
- Do you agree that noise pollution has psychological effects?
- In your opinion, will the new speed limit in Paris be effective in reducing noise pollution? Please explain your answer.