- duration /doo-REY-shuhn/
- distribution /dis-truh-BYOO-shuhn/
- spin /spin/
- speculate /SPEK-yuh-leyt/
- accumulation /uh-kyoo-myuh-LEY-shuhn/
[noun] – the length of time that something lasts
He wanted a stay of three years’ duration.
[noun] – the way in which something is shared out among a group or spread over an area
These birds have a wide geographic distribution.
[verb] – to (cause to) turn around and around, especially fast
The wheel can now spin freely.
[verb] – to guess possible answers to a question when you do not have enough information to be certain
It’s always hard to speculate about the future.
[noun] – an amount of something that has been collected
Despite the accumulation of evidence, the government chose to remain silent.
A stunning discovery was made by scientists in the year 2020. They discovered that, rather than slowing down, the Earth has begun to rotate faster. It is now spinning at a faster rate than it has been in the previous 50 years. In fact, the 28 days with the shortest duration on record all happened in the year 2020. Scientists are still unsure what is causing the increase in Earth’s rotation rate, although some speculate that it may be related to the melting of glaciers throughout the twentieth century or the accumulation of vast amounts of water in the northern hemisphere reservoirs.
But, for the time being, should we be concerned? Although it will have no impact on our daily lives, it could have major repercussions for technology such as Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites, smartphones, laptops, and communication networks, which all rely on extremely precise timing systems. However, such issues can be solved in the end, perhaps by simply deleting a leap second rather than adding one. So, unless the shortening of the day is due to human activities, we shouldn’t be concerned.
- Do you know of any discovery related to the article? Please tell me more about it.
- Are you aware of the 28 days with the shortest duration on record that all happened in the year 2020? What is your opinion of it?
- What do you think would happen to human activities if the Earth’s rotations were faster than usual?
- Do you agree with the idea that we should not be concerned unless the shortening of the day is due to human activities?
- In your opinion, what is the main reason why the Earth is spinning a little faster?