- How many hours is one Earth rotation?
- What Earth’s discovery have you known recently?
- contribute /kuhn-TRIB-yoot/
- occur /uh-KUR/
- massive /MAS-iv/
- major /MEY-jer/
- precise /pri-SAHYS/
[verb] – to be one of the reasons why something happens
I am sure that this meeting will contribute to the reinforcement of peace and security all over the world.
[verb] – (especially of accidents and other unexpected events) to happen
If the primary infection is not treated, further outbreaks may occur.
[adjective] – very large in size, amount, or number
We must make massive efforts to improve it.
[adjective] – more important, bigger, or more serious than others of the same type
There is a major problem with parking in London.
[adjective] – exact and accurate
It is important to take precise measurements of the structure.
In 2020, scientists made a surprising discovery. They discovered that the Earth’s rotation has accelerated rather than slowed. It is now spinning at a quicker rate than it was 50 years ago. The 28 days with the shortest duration on record occurred the same year. Scientists are still unsure what is causing the increase in Earth’s rotation rate, while some suggest that it could be linked to the melting of glaciers in the twentieth century or the massive storage of water in northern hemisphere reserves.
Should we be concerned for the time being? Although it will have little effect on our daily lives, it could have major consequences for technology such as Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites, smartphones, computers, and communication networks, all of which rely on extremely precise timing systems. However, such concerns can be resolved in the end, possibly by simply eliminating rather than adding a leap second. We shouldn’t be concerned unless the shortening of the day is caused by human activities.
- According to the article, how many hours did a day last 600 million years ago?
- What did scientists discover in 2020?
- When did the shortest day duration on record occur?
- What causes the increase in Earth’s rotation rate?
- What could be the major repercussions of Earth’s quick rotation rate?
- Do you know of any discovery related to the article? Please tell me more about it.
- Are you aware of the 28 days with the shortest duration on record that all happened in the year 2020? What is your opinion of it?
- What do you think would happen to human activities if the Earth’s rotations were faster than usual?
- Do you agree with the idea that we should not be concerned unless the shortening of the day is due to human activities?
- In your opinion, what is the main reason why the Earth is spinning a little faster?