©Theo Wargo/Getty Images
- Do you like fashion?
- Which famous person’s fashion do you like most?
- fashion /FASH-uhn/
- attire /uh-TAHYUHR/
- reschedule /ree-SKEJ-ool/
- star /stahr/
- center of attention /SEN-ter-ov-uh-TEN-shuhn/
[noun] – a style that is popular at a particular time, especially in clothes, hair, make-up, etc.
Abigail likes Taylor Swift’s old-school fashion.
[noun] – clothes, especially of a particular or formal type
The company requires its workers to wear complete formal attire.
[verb] – to agree on a new and later date for something to happen
The event was rescheduled because of the heavy rain.
[noun] – a very famous, successful, and important person, especially a performer such as a musician, actor, or sports player
Olivia Rodrigo is a rising star in the music industry.
[idiom] – used to refer to a person or thing that excites everyone’s interest or concern
Ariana was the center of attention during the event because of her long sparkly gown.
Also called the Met Ball, the Met Gala is a fashion event where many designers, models, and artists come together to present their beautiful attires. The Met Gala usually happens yearly in May but was rescheduled because of COVID-19. It was hosted by singer Billie Eilish, poet-activist Amanda Gorman, actor Timothée Chalamet, and tennis champion Naomi Osaka. Some of the names who walked the famous Met steps were singers Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes, and Olivia Rodrigo, tennis stars Serena Williams, Leylah Fernandez, and Emma Raducanu, and actors Tessa Thompson and Storm Reid. The “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” star Kim Kardashian was also the event’s center of attention because of her head-to-toe black bodysuit covering her face.
Costume Institute’s Andrew Bolton explained that “diversity and inclusion, as well as sustainability” are what young American designers have specifically looked at, making fashion more environmentally friendly.
True or False:
- The 2021 Met Gala took place in New York City.
- This year’s Met Gala displays “Asian independence”.
- Naomi Osaka was one of the hosts of the fashion event.
- The Met Gala is usually held yearly in December.
- Kim Kardashian wore an elegant blue dress at the fashion event.
Fill in the blanks:
|fashion||attire||reschedule||star||center of attention|
- Mr. Cruz _______ the meeting tomorrow.
- The wedding guests are required to wear Bohemian _______.
- Kate Winslet is my favorite Hollywood _______.
- Some styles never go out of _______.
- Cory enjoys being the _______ at any social event.