©Theo Wargo/Getty Images
- What is your favorite outfit?
- Do you watch fashion shows/events? Why or why not?
- witness /WIT-nis/
- remarkable /ri-MAHR-kuh-buhl/
- show off /SHOH-awf/
- superb /soo-PURB/
- exhibition /ek-suh-BISH-uhn/
[verb] – to see something happen
Over half a million fans witnessed the iconic band’s comeback concert.
[adjective] – unusual or special and therefore surprising and worth mentioning
The Eiffel Tower is a remarkable achievement of engineering.
[phrasal verb] – to behave in a way that is intended to attract attention or admiration
Mika showed off her dress saying: “My dad bought this at a Gucci store in London.”
[adjective] – of excellent quality; very great
The national team earned the victory for its superb performance.
[noun] – a collection of things shown publicly
The National Gallery held an exhibition of Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings.
Also called the Met Ball, the Met Gala is a fashion event where many designers, models, musicians, and actors come together on the red carpet to show off their superb outfits. This year’s gala, with the theme ‘American Independence’, was in celebration of Costume Institute’s newest exhibition, “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion.” It is typically held during May but was postponed because of COVID-19. The Met Gala was hosted by the “Bad Guy” singer Billie Eilish, American poet-activist Amanda Gorman, Hollywood actor Timothée Chalamet, and tennis champion and mental health activist Naomi Osaka. Some of the stars who walked the famous Met steps were singers Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes, and Olivia Rodrigo, tennis stars Serena Williams, Leylah Fernandez, and Emma Raducanu, and actors Tessa Thompson, Lili Reinhart, and Storm Reid. Media personality and socialite Kim Kardashian’s outfit was also one of the ball’s highlights. Kim K. entered the ball with a head-to-toe black Balenciaga bodysuit covering her face.
As explained by Costume Institute’s Andrew Bolton, “diversity and inclusion, as well as sustainability” are what young American designers have specifically looked at, making fashion more environmentally friendly.
- Where was the 2021 Met Gala held?
- What was Met Gala’s theme this year?
- During what month originally, is the fashion event held?
- Kindly name at least two (2) personalities who hosted the fashion event.
- What did Kim Kardashian wear at the ball that sparked controversies?
- What interests you most in terms of fashion (clothes, hair, cosmetics, shoes, accessories, etc.)? Why?
- Please share something about the most fashionable people you know.
- If you were to design an outfit for the Met Gala, by which celebrity would you like it to be worn?
- Do you think the fashion from the past is better than today’s?
- How would you describe today’s fashion?