- During which season do electricity bills usually rise in your country?
- What electrical appliances do you routinely use?
- profit /PROF-it/
- temporarily /tem-puh-RAIR-uh-lee/
- on top of (something) /on top uhv (SUHM-thing)/
- rate /reyt/
- majority /muh-JAWR-i-tee/
[noun] – money that is earned in trade or business after paying the costs of producing and selling goods and services
Our business profit increased this month.
[adverb] – in a way that does not last for long or forever
The website is temporarily down for maintenance.
[idiom] – in addition to something
Jean does freelance work on top of his full-time job.
[noun] – an amount or level of payment
Electricity rates usually drop in the spring and fall seasons.
[adjective] – the larger number or part of something
Based on the recent survey, the majority of people prefer televisions over radios.
• Electricity taxes are temporarily reduced from 5.1% to 0.5%.
• Bonus profits for energy companies will be transferred to consumers and infrastructure until April 2022.
• Spain will sell $1 billion in carbon emission permits on top of the $1.3 billion already sold.
• Natural gas price limits will result in a 4.4% increase in bills for 10.5 million homes rather than the expected 28% increase.
Energy costs continue to rise as gas prices increase in Europe. According to reports, the price per megawatt-hour on Wednesday, September 15, was $202.4, which was 12.6% more than the day before. Some countries affected are currently looking for ways to reduce consumer expenses, but Spain was the first to act. Italian Minister Robert Cingolani warned on Monday, September 13, that electricity rates would most likely jump by 40% in the next quarter. Meanwhile, Greece’s Energy Minister Kostas Skrekas announced that the government wants to provide energy financial assistance to the majority of households.
- When did Social Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez implement the shock plan?
- In the shock plan, to where will the bonus profits for energy companies be transferred?
- Based on the reports, how much was the energy price per megawatt-hour on Wednesday, September 15?
- According to the article, which European country was first to act as energy costs in the continent rise?
- What did Greece’s Energy Minister Kostas Skrekas announce?
- Does your country often have an increase in energy expenses? Please tell me more about it.
- What do you do to keep your expenses low?
- If you were affected by a hike in electricity bills, what would you do to lower them?
- What is your opinion on Socialist Prime Minister Sánchez’s “shock plan”?
- In your opinion, will the Spanish government be able to do all four initiatives in the plan? Please explain your answer.