- Is there a Costco warehouse in your city?
- Have you been to the grocery recently?
- strain /streyn/
- struggle /STRUHG-uhl/
- panic /PAN-ik/
- brand /brand/
- potential /puh-TEN-shuhl/
[noun] – a force or influence that stretches, pulls, or puts pressure on something, sometimes causing damage
His rudeness caused a strain on his relationship with his co-workers.
[verb] – to experience difficulty and make a very great effort in order to do something
Cora is struggling with her paperwork.
[noun] – a sudden strong feeling of fear that prevents reasonable thought and action:
The whole town was in panic because of the storm.
[noun] – a type of product made by a particular company
Nestlé is a trusted food brand in Asia.
[adjective] – possible when the necessary conditions exist
The project we are working on has potential risks.
As more people participate in panic buying, Costco struggles to find trucks, drivers, and shipping containers to deliver products to its stores. Meanwhile, local lockdowns have affected Nike’s factories in Vietnam and Indonesia, which produce three quarters of its footwear. Currently, it takes around 40 to 80 days for products to arrive from Asia to North America. The shortage crisis has also been affecting the production of toys and pet food. Other brands like toymaker Hasbro and sportswear brand Adidas have warned of potential supply issues to enter the holiday season.
- What problems are Nike and Costco facing?
- What forced Costco to set limits on its products?
- What is Costco struggling to find?
- How many days does it take for products to arrive from Asia to North America?
- What other companies could be facing a supply issue during the holiday season?
- Have you witnessed people participating in panic buying?
- When was the last time you were not able to buy a product because it was out of stock?
- If you were the CEO of Costco, would you choose to re-impose limits on products during the pandemic?
- Do you think product shortages and delays are problems that all countries should prioritize?
- In your opinion, how can product shortages and delays affect holiday shopping around the world? Give examples.