- Do you like to order products from other countries?
- Do you know about some famous shipping companies in your country?
- port /pawrt/
- transfer /TRANS-fer/
- destination /des-tuh-NEY-shuhn/
- certain /SUR-tn/
- delivery /dih-LIV-uh-ree/
[noun] – a town by the sea or by a river that has a harbor, or the harbor itself
The port is closed to all shipping.
[verb] – to move someone or something from one place, vehicle, person, or group to another
He has been transferred to a different hospital.
[noun] – the place where someone is going or where something is being sent or take
We finally arrived at our destination late that evening.
[adjective] – having no doubt or knowing exactly that something is true, or known to be true, correct, exact, or effective
The evidence is certain and the facts are clear.
[noun] – the act of taking goods, letters, packages, etc. to people’s houses or places of work
I got a delivery of fresh eggs this morning.
Travel jam has worsened by port closures caused by Covid-19 outbreaks. Containers abandoned on docks for months have become commonplace. Furthermore, container prices have skyrocketed. According to George Griffiths, editor of global container markets at S&P Global Platts, sending a 40ft container from Asia to Europe costs $17,500 (£12,650), which is more than ten times the cost a year ago.
He goes on to say that certain shipping companies are already charging premium rates to ensure delivery within a few weeks and that importers are competing against one another to secure containers ahead of their competitors. In reaction to shortages, several large corporations have begun to acquire containers and rent ships.
True or False:
- Lockdowns resulted in a decrease in retail sales.
- Truck driver shortages in Europe and the United States make it more difficult to transfer containers to their final destinations.
- Container prices have skyrocketed.
- David Griffiths is the editor of global container markets at S&P Global Platts.
- In reaction to shortages, several large corporations have begun to acquire containers and rent ships.
Fill in the blanks:
- I feel __________ you’re doing the right thing.
- The ferry was about to leave __________.
- He now works as a __________.
- Your order is ready for __________.
- His letter never reached its __________.