©Getty Images via BBC
- Are there record stores in your city?
- Who are some famous musicians in your country?
- recording /ri-KAWR-ding/
- persuade /per-SWEYD/
- conference /KON-fer-uhns/
- rare /rair/
- unknown /uhn-NOHN/
[noun] – speech, music, or moving pictures that have been recorded to be listened to or watched later
The recording of the song took three hours to finish.
[verb] – to make someone do or believe something by giving them a good reason to do it or by talking to that person and making them believe it
I persuaded my friend to go to a cafe with me.
[noun] – an event, sometimes lasting a few days, at which there is a group of talks on a particular subject, or a meeting in which especially business matters are discussed formally
We attended a conference on animal rights.
[adjective] – not common or frequent; very unusual
The new store sells rare pieces of jewelry.
[adjective] – not known or familiar
The reason she left the country was unknown.
In January 1970, John Lennon and Yoko Ono flew to Denmark to visit Kyoko, Ono’s daughter. Four schoolboys heard the news and persuaded their teachers to let them interview the pair for the school newspaper. Hoejen, one of the four teenagers, said that it took a long time for them to get to the place where the pair was having a conference. Luckily, the boys still got to interview the pair.
The teenage Hoejen taped the special moment, while his friend Jesper Jungersen took photographs. On the tape, Lennon and Yoko can be heard singing Christmas songs. The rare item is now in the hands of an unknown buyer.
True or False:
- A cassette recording of John Lennon and Yoko Ono has been sold for $68,300.
- Four danish schoolboys produced the 33-minute audio recording.
- John Lennon and Yoko Ono went to Denmark to visit Kyoko, Ono’s daughter.
- Jesper Jungersen took photographs during the conference.
- The rare item now belongs to an unknown buyer.
Fill in the blanks:
- Many people asked questions during the business _____.
- Scientists have recently discovered a ____ plant.
- My mother ______ me to take a ballet class.
- The pop singer was late to the _______.
- The places in the city were _____ to Reena.