©Getty Images via BBC
- How often do you watch weather reports?
- Does the weather affect your plans?
- prediction /pri-DIK-shuhn/
- consequence /KON-si-kwens/
- productive /pruh-DUHK-tiv /
- crucial /KROO-shuhl/
- potentially /puh-TEN-shuh-lee/
[noun] – a statement about what you think will happen in the future
There were predictions that the store would be a huge success.
[noun] – a result of a particular action or situation, often one that is bad or not convenient
Drinking too much alcohol can result in serious consequences.
[adjective] – having positive results
Sheila had a productive day at work.
[adjective] – extremely important or necessary
It is crucial that you stay hydrated during the summer.
[adverb] – possibly
Risa said that there could potentially be life on other planets.
The effects of climate change are challenging the ways meteorologists predict certain weather patterns. “Extreme weather has terrible consequences, including loss of life and, as the effects of climate change suggest, these types of events are expected to become more frequent,” Met Office partnerships and product innovation head Niall Robinson said. “Given that, better short-term weather forecasts can help people stay safe and be productive.”
In an experiment to predict what will happen in an hour or two, UK radar maps from 2016 to 2018 were tested on maps from 2019. As a result, the AI system was able to identify common patterns of rainfall. 50 Met Office meteorologists found 89% of the cases to be accurate. “This will be crucial for reducing the dangerous effects of climate change today, and could potentially save lives.” DeepMind senior scientist Shakir Mohamed said.
- What can AI now find out?
- Who will build the ‘nowcasting’ system?
- What is challenging the ways meteorologists predict certain weather patterns?
- How can short-term weather forecasts help people?
- As a result of the experiment, what did the AI system identify?
- When was the last time you were caught in a storm or heavy rainfall?
- How often do you receive local weather alerts?
- If you were a scientist, what would you like to research?
- Do you think more students should study meteorology?
- In your opinion, how can a person stay safe during the rainy season?