©Prasto Wardoyo/Reuters via CNN
- What do you think of plastic shopping bags and bottles?
- Do you recycle?
- persuade /per-SWEYD/
- avoid /uh-VOID/
- waste /weyst/
- polluted /puh-LOO-tid/
- recycle /ree-SAHY-kuhl/
[verb] – to make someone do or believe something by giving them a good reason to do it
Try to persuade Nina to come with us.
[verb] – to stay away from someone or something
Avoid fast food like hamburgers and fries.
[noun] – unwanted matter or material of any type, especially what is left after useful substances or parts have been removed
This town produces 10 million tons of household waste each year.
[adjective] – affected by pollution
The air in that city is heavily polluted.
[verb] – to use something again for a different purpose
Don’t throw the bottles away. I’ll recycle them.
True or False:
- Indonesian environmentalists are persuading people to avoid using single-use bags and bottles.
- The outside exhibition in Gresik, East Java took four months to assemble.
- Over 500 individuals have seen the show since early last month.
- Indonesia ranks second only to China in terms of plastic pollution.
- The Philippines and Vietnam are also responsible for more than half of all ocean trash.
Fill in the blanks:
- Plastic _______ in the seas have been increasing.
- My father _______ old newspapers.
- The doctor advised me to _______ oily food.
- Any updates on the water source? Is it still _______?
- We tried to _______ him to move the deadline.