©Prasto Wardoyo/Reuters via CNN
- escalating /EH-skuh-lay-ting/
- prosperity /pro-SPER-i-tee/
- revere /ri-VEER/
- archipelago /ahr-kuh-PEL-uh-goh/
- backdrop /BAK-drop/
[adjective] – increasing in price, amount, rate, etc.
The police are struggling to contain the escalating number of crimes in the area.
[noun] – the state of being successful and having a lot of money
I wish you a life of prosperity and happiness.
[verb] – to greatly respect and admire someone or something
The students revere Professor Brown for his outstanding teaching skills.
[noun] – a group of small islands or an area of sea in which there are many small islands
Okinawa is the main island in the Ryukyu archipelago.
[noun] – the things that can be seen behind something
The sea looks beautiful as the garden’s backdrop. Let’s take some pictures later.
The plastics problem is especially significant in Indonesia, an archipelago nation that ranks second only to China in terms of the amount of plastic in the seas. Along with the Philippines and Vietnam, the four nations are responsible for more than half of all ocean plastics, and Indonesian efforts to control plastic packaging use have yielded mixed results. Visitors pose against a backdrop of thousands of suspended water bottles in the museum, which has become a popular location for selfies widely shared on social media. “I will have to buy reusable things such as drinking bottles instead of buying plastic bottles,” said student Ayu Chandra Wulan. “By looking at how much waste there is here, I feel sad.”
- Do most establishments like grocery stores in your country allow the use of plastic bags? Please tell me more about it.
- Are there any museums in your country made out of recyclables? Please share more about them.
- Would you visit a museum made out of plastics? Why or why not?
- Do you think recycling is the solution to throwaway plastics?
- What are the alternatives to single-use plastics?
- focal point