- Do you know who Fumio Kishida is?
- Are you fond of watching news about politics?
- despite /dih-SPAHYT/
- defeat /dih-FEET/
- CHAL-inj //
- agency /Ey-juhn-see/
- skill /skil /
[preposition] – without taking any notice of or being influenced by; not prevented by
Despite the weather, I had a good time during the week.
[verb] – to win against someone in a fight, war, or competition
They advanced to the final after they had defeated the Italian team.
[noun] – (the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
Finding a cure for the disease is one of the biggest challenges facing medical researchers.
[noun] – a business acting for or representing a person, an organization, or another business
The Philippine Consulate refused to accredit the agency to offer contracts to Filipinos living abroad.
[npun] – a special ability to do something
He lacked skill as a painter.
True or False:
- LDP stands for Livelihood Democratic Party.
- Fumio Kishida, has won the leadership election, putting him on track to become the country’s next prime minister.
- Former Foreign Minister Kishida defeated Taro Kono.
- Fumio Kishida will establish a health crisis management agency.
- Mr. Kishida said after winning, “My skill is to truly listen to people.”
Fill in the blanks:
- He seems to lack basic conversational __________.
- __________ having consumed a large breakfast, he was able to consume a more amount of food at lunch.
- At the Battle of Waterloo, Napoleon was __________ by the Duke of Wellington.
- One of the __________ facing scientists today is to find a solution to this problem.
- They fund the Environmental Protection __________.