© Claudia Morales/Reuters via CNN news
- highlands /HAHY-luhndz/
- skyrocket /SKAHY-rok-it/
- elevated /EL-uh-vey-tid/
- subject to (something) /suhb-JEKT too/
- diminish /dih-MIN-ish/
[noun] – a mountainous area of a country
The villages in the highlands are now connected by roads.
[verb] – (esp. of amounts) to rise extremely quickly
Prices have skyrocketed in recent months.
[adjective] – greater than is normal or reasonable
The number of non-native English speakers has elevated.
[idiom] – likely to experience or suffer from something
The area is subject to earthquakes, so please make sure to avoid it if you can.
[verb] – to reduce or be reduced in size or importance
Some old currencies eventually diminish in value.
The high-altitude Andean regions of South America are subjected to some of the world’s most harmful amounts of UV radiation, with values reaching record highs of over 40 on the index at times. However, a number in the range of 11 to 17 is more common. With world leaders gathering in Glasgow for the COP26 climate conference amid warnings that the climate light is flashing red, some Bolivian scientists claim that altering rainfall patterns are intensifying UV radiation’s impacts by diminishing cloud cover.
- How do you deal with high temperatures?
- Do you think the temperatures in your country are higher than usual? Please explain your answer.
- If you were a resident of La Paz, what would your initiatives be to overcome the intense heat?
- What should the Bolivian government do to help the residents deal with the tremendous heat?
- What harmful effects do UV radiations bring to people?