- renewable /ri-NOO-wuh-bl/
- nominate /NOM-uh-neyt/
- executive /ig-ZEK-yuh-tiv/
- corporate /KAWR-per-it/
- sustainable /suh-STEY-nuh-buhl/
[adjective] – renewable forms of energy can be produced as quickly as they are used
Renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power are a need today.
[verb] – to officially suggest someone for an election, job, position, or honor
The Green Party has nominated him as their candidate in the upcoming election.
[noun] – someone in a high position, especially in business, who makes decisions and puts them into action
She has worked her way up through the ranks of the corporation and is now a senior executive.
[adjective] – relating to a large company
The hotel is used for corporate entertainment.
[adjective] – able to continue over a period of time
This type of intense diet is not sustainable.
Shaina Shah, a 14-year-old Londoner, is one of the board members. She is committed to environmental protection and wishes to preserve her world for future generations. “I believe grownups should consider money first,” she argues. “While they may not always choose the best sustainable option, young people have grown up in a society where climate change’s repercussions are readily apparent.” Shaina goes on to say that she and the other five members of the advisory board aren’t scared to inform the grownups when they think they’ve made a mistake. They were chosen after a competition run by the environmental organization Eco-Schools attracted over 1,000 schoolchildren from throughout England.
Entrants had to write a 500-word personal statement answering three questions: “What inspired you to care for our planet?” “What skills or experiences you can bring?” And – “Do you have one idea for how a renewable energy company can do more to help protect the planet?” “Incredibly passionate, insightful, and impressive” were the words used to describe the six winners.
- Do you know a young leader? Could you tell me something about him/her?
- Do you consider yourself a leader or a follower? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Would you let teens be in charge of your company? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with Shaina’s opinion?
- In your opinion, should nominating teens as leaders be applied to all organizations related to the protection of the environment? Why or why not?
- regular basis