©Kyodo News via The Japan Times
- prior to (something) /PRAHY-er-too/
- tally /TAL-ee/
- wave /weyv/
- medication /med-i-KEY-shuhn/
- anticipate /an-TIS-uh-peyt/
[adjective] – before a particular time or event
The group rehearses for the last time prior to the competition.
[noun] – a record or count of a number of items
The data doesn’t correspond to the requirements. There must be something wrong with the tally.
[noun] – a larger than usual number of events of a similar, often bad, type, happening within the same period
A wave of protests against climate change has swept the country.
[noun] – a medicine, or a set of medicines or drugs, used to improve a particular condition or illness
My dad is currently on medication for his kidney disease.
[verb] – to imagine or expect that something will happen
We need to increase our production since we are anticipating a larger demand.
The country reported 10,000 deaths in April and bled its extreme wave of the infectious Delta variant over the summer. But recently, cases and deaths have fallen remarkably throughout Japan as more citizens get their COVID-19 vaccinations, reaching 70% of the population. The Japanese government, on the other hand, plans to start rolling out booster vaccine shots next month and reduce hospitalizations for milder cases with pill-based medications. Shigeru Omi, one of the country’s leading health advisers, devises a new scale to measure the severity of coronavirus infections and a tool to anticipate the need for hospital beds in the event of a new wave. “We’ve learned over the past two years that we need to take strong, fast, and intensive measures,” Omi said. Meanwhile, in October, Tokyo lifted the states of emergency that mainly affected major cities, corresponding to a decrease in cases. Additionally, although tourism is still prohibited, Japan’s border restrictions for foreign nationals have loosened up for short-term business trips and long-term stays for students and foreign technical trainees.
- Have you received your COVID-19 vaccine? If yes, kindly share your experience. If not, when are you planning to get vaccinated?
- Could share your experience during the COVID-19 Delta wave in your country?
- Would you get a booster shot for COVID-19 if given the chance? Why or why not?
- Do you think Japan should resume its tourism?
- Do you think it is okay for people to get complacent as COVID-19 cases in the country have been dropping recently? Why or why not?
- booster vaccine shots