©Kyodo News via The Japan Times
- How is your country doing so far amid the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What health measures do you take to avoid the virus?
- record /ri-KAWRD/
- throughout /throo-OUT/
- hospitalization /hos-pi-tl-uh-ZEY-shuhn/
- measure /MEZH-er/
- lift /lift/
[verb] – to keep information for the future, by writing it down or storing it on a computer
I record all my thoughts in this journal.
[preposition] – in every part, or during the whole period of time
Roadworks have caused traffic jams throughout the city.
[noun] – the act of taking someone to the hospital and keeping them there for treatment
The doctor advised hospitalization for the child to recover quickly.
[noun] – a way of achieving something, or a method for dealing with a situation
We need to follow road safety measures to avoid accidents.
[verb] – to end a rule or law
The country does not plan on lifting the liquor ban anytime soon.
The country also reported 10,000 deaths in April and suffered the deadly Delta variant over the summer. But recently, cases and deaths have decreased throughout Japan as more people get their COVID-19 vaccinations, reaching 70% of the population. The Japanese government, on the other hand, plans to start booster vaccine shots next month and reduce hospitalizations for milder cases with pill-based medications. Shigeru Omi, one of the country’s top health experts, designs a new scale to measure the seriousness of COVID-19 infections and a tool to assume the need for hospital beds when a new wave happens. “We’ve learned over the past two years that we need to take strong, fast, and intensive measures,” Omi said. Meanwhile, in October, Tokyo lifted the states of emergency that mainly affected major cities following a decrease in cases. Japan’s border restrictions for foreign nationals have also slackened off for short-term business trips and long-term stays for students, and technical trainees.
- When did Japan record no COVID-19 deaths for the first time in 15 months?
- How many COVID-19 deaths were reported last April?
- How much of Japan’s population have been vaccinated against the coronavirus?
- What are the objectives of Japanese health expert Shigeru Omi’s designed scale and tool?
- For whom did Japan lift its border restrictions?
- Have you received your COVID-19 vaccine? If yes, kindly share your experience. If not, when are you planning to get vaccinated?
- Could share your experience during the COVID-19 Delta wave in your country?
- Would you get a booster shot for COVID-19 if given the chance? Why or why not?
- Do you think Japan should resume its tourism?
- Do you think it is okay for people to get complacent as COVID-19 cases in the country have been dropping recently? Why or why not?