© GETTY IMAGES via BBC News
- What electronic device brand is popular in your country?
- Which electronic brand/s do you trust the most?
- standalone /STAND-uh-lohn/
- semiconductor /sem-ee-kuhn-DUHK-ter/
- face /feys/
- diverse /dih-VURS/
- influence /IN-floo-uhns/
[adjective] – a standalone company or organization manages its own activities and does not depend on a larger organization for money or approval
TechQ Corporation is expected to split into four standalone businesses by next year.
[noun] – a substance, such as silicon, that allows some electricity to flow through it, used in making electronic devices
Diamond is a semiconductor material with high-quality mechanical properties.
[verb] – if you face a problem, or a problem faces you, you have to deal with it
The newly appointed leader is faced with a seemingly impossible task to finish.
[adjective] – including many different types of people or things
My interests are quite diverse. I enjoy cooking, traveling, and doing digital art.
[noun] – the power to have an effect on people or things, or a person or thing that is able to do this
Helen’s influence made Sean a better person.
Toshiba, founded in the 1870s, is one of Japan’s oldest and largest companies, with diverse types of products ranging from home electronics to nuclear power facilities. However, following the result of an accounting issue and severe losses at its US nuclear unit, the company has undergone extensive adjustments in recent years. The corporate’s decision to separate into three businesses marks the end of an era, but it also highlights activist investors’ growing influence, as evidenced by the effective removal of the board’s chairperson in June.
- How many standalone businesses will Toshiba split into?
- Based on the article, what are the two core areas that Toshiba will focus on?
- What does Atul Goyal prefer instead of completing the reorganization by 2023?
- When was Toshiba founded?
- Why did the corporate undergo massive changes in recent years?
- What do you consider to be the most important new invention in the recent century?
- What new devices or services would you like to have?
- If you were an analyst, would you also be concerned about Toshiba’s timeline? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Do you agree with Atul Goyal’s preferred three-to-six-month schedule of reorganizing the three businesses?
- On what other products or services do you think Toshiba should focus?