©BBC via Reuters
- Do you watch New Year’s Eve countdown specials on television?
- What are you looking forward to in 2022?
- confirm /kuhn-FURM/
- spectator /SPEK-tey-ter/
- joy /joi/
- gather /GATH-er/
- witness /WIT-nis/
[verb] – to prove that a belief or an opinion that was previously not completely certain is true
Mr. Kirk confirmed that the stores will be closed for the whole week.
[noun] – a person who watches an activity
The spectators cheered for their favorite athletes.
[noun] – great happiness
She believes that Christmas brings joy to everyone.
[verb] – When people or animals gather, they come together in a group
They are going to gather at the park on Wednesday.
[noun] – to see something happen
It is my dream to witness the beauty of the Aurora Borealis.
2020 marked the first year since 1904 that crowds were not allowed to gather at Times Square. Only a few health workers were allowed into the square to witness the ball drop celebration and they were placed in socially distanced pods. The US has recorded the highest number of COVID-19 cases globally, with 2.1 million recorded since the pandemic began. More than 765,000 people there have died, based on data from Johns Hopkins University. More details about the 2022 Time Square Ball Drop event will be announced in the coming days according to NYC officials.
- Who is New York City’s current mayor?
- What did he announce on November 17, 2021?
- What proof do attendees need to provide?
- What proof do unvaccinated individuals with medical reasons need to provide?
- Who were the people allowed to attend the 2020 New Year’s Eve event at Times Square?
- Have you been to New York City? If not, would you like to visit it in the future?
- Have you done any preparations for New Year’s Eve? Why or why not?
- If you were the mayor of your city, how can you make New Year’s Eve special for the people during the COVID-19 pandemic? Give an idea.
- Do you think it was right for New York to welcome back crowds for the New Year’s Eve event?
- In your opinion, what is the best way to celebrate New Year’s Eve?