- sector /SEK-ter/
- instruct /in-STRUHKT/
- founder /FOUN-der/
- consistent /kuhn-SIS-tuhnt/
- emission /ih-MISH-uhn/
[noun] – one of the areas into which the economic activity of a country is divided
The country has adopted a new policy of transferring state-owned companies to the private sector.
[verb] – to order or tell someone to do something, especially in a formal way
The head of police instructed me to patrol the building and surrounding area.
[noun] – someone who establishes an organization
He was the founder of the company.
[adjective] – always behaving or happening in a similar, especially positive, way
Her attitude has been steadily consistent.
[noun] – the act of sending out gas, heat, light, etc.
The emission of light by living creatures is known as bioluminescence.
“But time is running short to slow down warming to keep within 1.2 C,” said Ms. Leonard, chief executive of environmental charity Peterborough Environment City Trust (PECT). The commitment includes actions for the organizations engaged, such as environmental effect monitoring, carbon emissions reduction, and natural environment improvement. The climate change collaboration is made up of a number of organizations, including education, technology, and health organizations, as well as Peterborough City Council.
The council has committed to becoming carbon-neutral by 2030, and Peterborough has committed to becoming a carbon-neutral city by the same date. “By organisations working together to make simple and consistent changes we are more likely to achieve the city’s net-zero target,” Ms. Leonard said. Net-zero means that no additional greenhouse gases are released into the atmosphere. To achieve it, emissions must be reduced as much as possible, and any that remain must be balanced off by removing an equal amount.
- What little ways have you done to help combat climate change? Please explain your answer.
- Has your community ever done a project to combat climate change? Please explain your answer.
- If you had the authority, what kind of idea would you suggest to achieve net-zero emissions?
- Do you agree with the idea that to reach the city’s net-zero aim, organizations should work together?
- What do you think of the Peterborough Climate Commitment? Please elaborate on your answer.
- run out
- greenhouse gas