© Shutterstock via britannica.com
- What comes to mind when you hear the term “natural disasters”?
- What natural disaster does your country often experience?
- evacuate /ih-VAK-yoo-eyt/
- officer /AW-fuh-ser/
- allow /uh-LOU/
- station /STEY-shuhn/
- install /in-STAWL/
[verb] – to move people from a dangerous place to somewhere safe
Locals were ordered to evacuate due to the flood.
[noun] – a person who has a position of authority in an organization
The personnel officer who interviewed you will give you feedback.
[verb] – to give permission for someone to do something, or to not prevent something from happening
Smoking is not allowed in the halls.
[noun] – a building or place used for a particular service or type of work
Is there a gas station around here?
[verb] – to put furniture, a machine, or a piece of equipment into position and make it ready to use
Could you help me install the security cameras?
True or False:
- Vulcano residents were ordered to evacuate on Friday, October 22.
- The CO2 levels in Vulcano raised from 80 tons to 480 tons.
- People can stay in the “yellow zone” but only on the top floors of their houses.
- Tourists are prohibited from visiting the area for one month.
- Seven new seismic stations were built by the observatory.
Fill in the blanks:
- It’s easy to _______ the shower. I’ll show you.
- Authorities ordered helicopters to _______ the residents from their homes.
- Taking pictures inside the temple is not _______.
- Please present your passport to the customs _______.
- The government is planning to build a new research _______.