© Shutterstock via britannica.com
- respiratory /RES-per-uh-tawr-ee/
- ordinance /AWR-dn-uhns/
- observatory /uhb-ZUR-vuh-tawr-ee/
- seismic /SAHYZ-mik/
- thermal /THUR-muhl/
[adjective] – relating to breathing
Symptoms of the illness include respiratory problems and nausea.
[noun] – a law or rule made by a government or authority
The city ordinance indicates that parks must be closed at 11 p.m.
[noun] – a building from which scientists can watch the planets, the stars, the weather, etc.
Scientists at the observatory are currently observing the possible thunderstorm forming.
[adjective] – relating to or caused by an earthquake
Seismic activities were detected in Mt. Fuji.
[adjective] – connected with heat
If you’re not used to the cold, it’s advisable to wear thermal clothes.
“The activity of the volcano gives us reason in this moment to pay attention even if almost all of the data points to a condition of stability,” Giorgianni said in his message on the Lipari Comune’s Facebook page. “The data that motivated my ordinance is the increasing gas emissions.” INGV’s Palermo and Catania-Etneo Observatory website claims that four geochemical stations that detect CO2 from the soil are now operational. To supplement the existing seismic stations, the observatory has erected seven new sites: six on Vulcano and one on Lipari. A high-definition thermal camera to monitor soil temperature has also been installed.
- Have you been to a volcanic island? If yes, how was your experience there? If not, would you visit one and why?
- Does your country have many active volcanoes? Please tell me more.
- If you were a resident of Vulcano, would you stay in the “yellow zone” or evacuate? Why?
- What do you think is the cause of the sudden increase of carbon dioxide in Vulcano?
- As citizens, how can we help balance the amount of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the air?