© Thomas Faull/Alamy Live News/Alamy Live News via The Guardian
- underway /UHN-der-wey/
- inconclusive /in-kuhn-KLOO-siv/
- efficacy /EF-i-kuh-see/
- alteration /awl-tuh-REY-shuhn/
- pulse /puhls/
[adjective] – if something is underway, it is happening now
Plans to improve the highways are underway.
[adjective] – not giving or having a result or decision
The medical test results are inconclusive. We must wait for at least a week.
[noun] – the quality of being effective; effectiveness
Based on studies, the vaccine efficacy varies from one individual to another.
[noun] – a change, usually a slight change, in the appearance, character, or structure of something
Prices may still be subject to alterations.
[noun] – the regular beating of the heart, especially when it is felt at the wrist or side of the neck
His pulse rate had slowed to normal.
Still, Karim said in a statement that more answers may be available in a few weeks. A South African doctor says the Omicron cases she has dealt with thus far have been minor. Symptoms include fatigue for one or two days, followed by headaches and body aches. “Some of them will have what they call a scratch throat, and some will have a cough, a dry cough. But it’s not a constant cough. It comes and goes,” the doctor added. High temperatures have been reported in several individuals, including one seriously ill child with a rapid pulse. After roughly 48 hours of treatment at home, the child’s condition had improved.
- Please share the current situation of the coronavirus in your country.
- What activities can you do and cannot do during this time of the pandemic?
- If you were a scientist studying Omicron, which factor would you look into first (how contagious it is, its effects on vaccine effectiveness, etc.)? Why?
- Do you agree that the new coronavirus variant may spread faster?
- What can we do to stay safe from the new variant while waiting for more information about it?