©BBC via SQUARE ENIX
- protagonist /proh-TAG-uh-nist/
- niche /neesh/
- hazardous /HAZ-er-duhs /
- initiative /ih-NISH-uh-tiv/
- legacy /LEG-uh-see /
[noun] – one of the main characters in a story or a play
Light Yagami is the protagonist of the anime Death Note
[adjective] – interesting to, aimed at, or affecting only a small number of people
Paul thinks judo is a niche sport.
[adjective] – very dangerous
The city’s roads are hazardous during winter.
[noun] – a new plan or process to achieve something or solve a problem
Many youth groups presented their peace initiatives.
[noun] – something that is a part of your history or that remains from an earlier time
Her legacy as a pop singer is unforgettable.
“She was iconic from the jump because we hadn’t seen a lot of female heroes in video games,” says Dallas Dickinson, Crystal Dynamics’ franchise executive producer for Tomb Raider. The original movies – starring Angelina Jolie – introduced Croft to the larger masses. But Dallas thinks it’s the series’ latter initiative to create an “origin” story for the character that has made her so much more accessible to many people. The franchise’s latest three games – Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, released in 2013, 2015, and 2018 respectively – explore the adventures of a younger, less experienced Lara.
What’s next for Tomb Raider? According to Dallas, Crystal Dynamics has not yet talked about any details of what the next games might contain. The important thing for the video game developer is to preserve Lara Croft’s pioneering legacy.
- What was the first game you ever played?
- Describe the origin of your favorite character.
- If you were a video game creator, what kind of character would you like to create? Describe him/her.
- Do you think today’s video games are better than video games from the 80s and 90s?
- In your opinion, what makes video games fun and entertaining?