- How often do you visit bakeries?
- Do you always eat dessert after dinner?
- variety /vuh-RAHY-i-tee/
- savory /SEY-vuh-ree/
- style /stahyl/
- merchant /MUR-chuhnt /
- serve /surv/
[noun] – many different types of things
Her grandmother is an expert in cooking a variety of desserts.
[adjective] – Savory food is salty or spicy and not sweet in taste.
We had a savory lunch last Monday.
[noun] – a way of doing something, especially one that is typical of a person, group of people, place, or period
I admire Clark’s painting style.
[noun] – a person whose job is to buy and sell products in large amounts, especially by trading with other countries
My uncles are working as wine merchants in Spain.
[verb] – to provide food or drinks
This restaurant serves the best seafood dishes!
©CNN via Juchheim Group
Baumkuchen is a round German cake with golden lines that look like a tree’s growth ring. The cake became popular decades after it was created in 1919 by German Karl Jukheim.
©CNN via Bunmeido Tokyo
In 1543, Portuguese merchants introduced castella to the people of Nagasaki. It grew to become a beloved dessert all over Japan. Bunmeido is a popular brand selling this cake in different flavors like chocolate and matcha.
3. Mont Blanc
©CNN via IMM Food Services Inc
Mont Blanc is a chestnut cake named after Le Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in the Alps. Namashibori Montblanc is a specialty that serves Mont Blanc with freshly squeezed chestnut toppings.
Have you included these sweets in your must-try list? Whether paired with tea or eaten on their own, these desserts would surely bring happiness to your day.
True or False:
- Baumkuchen is a square German cake.
- Karl Jukheim created Baumkuchen.
- In 1543, Brazilian merchants introduced Castella to the people of Nagasaki.
- Bunmeido sells castella cakes.
- Namashibori Montblanc offers a Mont Blanc with freshly squeezed chestnut toppings.
Fill in the blanks:
- I like Laura’s drawing _______.
- There is a _____ of European products in this grocery.
- I would like to eat something _______.
- The ______ are selling sausages.
- They _____ ice cream with fresh fruits.