- memorabilia /mem-er-uh-BIL-ee-uh/
- auction /AWK-shuhn/
- up for grabs /UHP-fawr-grabs/
- partake /pahr-TEYK/
- inscribed /in-SKRAHYBD/
[noun] – objects that are collected because they are connected with a person or event that is thought to be very interesting
Kyle is a collector of The Beatles memorabilia.
[noun] – a public sale in which goods or property are sold to the highest bidder
The organization is holding a jewelry auction on Sunday.
[idiom] – available and ready to be won or taken
A whopping grand prize of 1,000,000 dollars is still up for grabs at the lottery.
[verb] – to become involved with or take part in something with other people
It would be my pleasure to partake in your fundraising event.
[adjective] – (of a surface or object) marked or carved with characters
The watch was inscribed with her name.
MusiCares, a non-profit organization established in 1989 and incorporated in 1993 by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, gathers musicians to “focus the resources and attention of the music industry on human service issues.” Among the items up for grabs at the charity auction are BTS’ suits worth almost $50,000, which they wore at the 2021 Grammy Awards. The K-Pop group will also give away a ’56 Epiphone Les Paul Pro electric guitar signed by members RM, j-hope, Jimin, V, and Jung Kook, Jin, and SUGA. A trio of rings from j-hope’s personal collection will also be offered up. Meanwhile, McCartney and Styles will both partake with signed instruments of their own. McCartney will donate a Hofner B-Bass Hi Series violin bass guitar, while Styles will pass on his Gibson ES-335 acoustic-electric. The former One Direction frontman will also devote a signed copy of his ‘Watermelon Sugar’ album inscribed with the phrase, “All my love to you, treat people with kindness,” and three Polaroid-like photos from the song’s music video. Proceeds from the auction will aid in the support system for “physical and mental health, addiction recovery, unforeseen personal emergencies, and disaster relief.”
- Are there any charities in your town/city? Please tell me more about them.
- Have you ever worked for a charity? If yes, please tell me more about it. If not, please share what charities you would like to partake in the future.
- If you were to auction off one of your personal collections for charity, what would it be and why?
- Are you satisfied with the work charities do?
- Do you agree with the saying “charity begins at home?” Why or why not?
- disaster relief