©D. Ross Cameron/USA Today Sports
- Do you watch basketball games?
- Which NBA players do you know?
- celebrate /SEL-uh-breyt/
- champion /CHAM-pee-uhn/
- tear /teer/
- introduce /in-truh-DOOS/
- lead /leed/
[verb] – to take part in special enjoyable activities in order to show that a particular occasion is important
We are celebrating our parents’ wedding anniversary.
[noun] – someone or something, especially a person or animal, that has beaten all other competitors in a competition
He is the boxing champion of the world.
[verb] – to pull or be pulled apart, or to pull pieces off
His right arm was torn apart due to an accident.
[verb] – to make someone known by name to another in person, especially formally
I would like to introduce our new teammate, Kim.
[verb] – (in sports or other competitions) to be in front, to be first, or to be winning
LeBron James is leading the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals.
True or False:
- The Golden State Warriors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers with 96 points last January 10.
- The game took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
- Klay Thompson had been absent from the team for 25 months due to an injury.
- Thompson injured his left knee and right foot.
- Stephen Curry led the Warriors and scored 28 points.
Fill in the blanks:
- The team is ________ the school to the final round of the competition.
- He will ________ his birthday on Saturday.
- Hi, Anna. Kindly _______ yourself to the class.
- John is hoping to _______ the three-time _________ in the competition.
- The rabbit’s body had been _______ apart by wolves.