- How do you manage the food supply at home?
- Why is it important to resolve the supply chain crisis?
- take into account /teyk in-too uh-KOUNT/
- tackle /TAK-uhl/
- paper over the cracks /PEY-per OH-ver tdi krak /
- policy /POL-uh-see/
- boost /boost/
[idiom] – to consider or remember something when judging a situation
I’m hoping that when my teacher evaluates my paper, she would take into account the fact that I was sick right before the tests.
[verb ] – to try to deal with something or someone
The president appears to be at a loss about how to tackle the crisis.
[idiom] – to hide problems, especially arguments between people, in order to make a situation seem better than it really is
She tried to paper over the cracks, but I could see that the problem in the project.
[noun] – a set of ideas or a plan of what to do in particular situations that has been agreed to officially by a group of people, a business organization, a government, or a political party
No smoking is company policy.
[verb] – to improve or increase something
By lowering ticket rates, the theater was able to boost attendance.
“Britain’s farmers are world-leaders in producing climate-friendly food and, over the past 18 months, have been working hard to keep shelves and fridges full despite many being impacted by severe supply chain issues,” said NFU President Minette Batters. “Government has tried to paper over the cracks with short-term fixes, but if we want to avoid this crisis continuing, long-term solutions are urgently needed to ensure a resilient supply chain,” she added. Andrew Opie, director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium, also urged the government to give a “clear strategy” for solving labor shortages as well as a “coherent food policy” to keep UK manufacturing alive. According to a Defra spokeswoman, the government has boosted the number of visas available under the agricultural Seasonal Workers Pilot scheme to 30,000.
- What does NFU stand for?
- According to the article, what will also be taken into account?
- What have Britain’s farmers been working hard over the past 18 months?
- Who is the NFU President?
- According to a Defra spokeswoman, how many visas are already available under the agricultural Seasonal Workers Pilot scheme?
- Have you experienced a food shortage at home? Could you tell me something about it?
- What specific law in your country resolves the supply chain crisis? Please explain your answer.
- If you had the power, how would you deal with food sustainability? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Do you agree with NFU President Minette Batters’s statement?
- What do you think about the expansion of the number of visas available under the agricultural Seasonal Workers Pilot scheme to 30,000?