- issue /ISH-oo/
- renowned /ri-NOUND/
- resilient /ri-ZIL-yuhnt/
- sustainability /suh-stey-nuh-BIL-i-tee/
- retain /ri-TEYN/
[verb] – to produce or provide something official
Permits will be issued in the morning on Tuesdays and Thursdays,
[adjective] – famous for something
The area is renowned for its amazing natural beauty.
[adjective] – able to return quickly to a previous good condition after problems
The US economy continues to be very resilient.
[noun] – the quality of being able to continue over a period of time
Many species have been reduced, and there are a variety of things that need to be done to maintain the sustainability of our reefs.
[verb] – to keep or continue to have something
Throughout the performance, he retained his professionalism.
Throughout the pandemic, rising living costs, rising energy prices, and labor shortages have all added to the stresses on the food business. According to the renowned international agency, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, businesses have struggled to hire workers, partially because of the pandemic, but also due to Brexit. “Britain’s farmers are world-leaders in producing climate-friendly food and, over the past 18 months, have been working hard to keep shelves and fridges full despite many being impacted by severe supply chain issues,” said NFU President Minette Batters. “Government has tried to paper over the cracks with short-term fixes, but if we want to avoid this crisis continuing, long-term solutions are urgently needed to ensure a resilient supply chain,” she added. The British Retail Consortium’s director of food and sustainability, Andrew Opie, also urged the government to provide a “clear strategy” for addressing labor shortages as well as a “coherent food policy” to retain UK production. The government has increased the number of visas available under the agricultural Seasonal Workers Pilot scheme to 30,000, according to a Defra spokesperson.
- Have you experienced a food shortage at home? Could you tell me something about it?
- What specific law in your country resolves the supply chain crisis? Please explain your answer.
- If you had the power, how would you deal with food sustainability? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Do you agree with NFU President Minette Batters’s statement?
- What do you think about the expansion of the number of visas available under the agricultural Seasonal Workers Pilot scheme to 30,000?
- food supply
- labor shortage