- When do you usually eat soup? (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Do you prefer hot food to cold food?
- comfort /KUHM-fert/
- generation /jen-uh-REY-shuhn/
- spice /spahys/
- raw /raw/
- ordinary /AWR-dn-er-ee/
[noun] – a pleasant feeling of being relaxed and free from pain
I think Taylor Swift’s new song is a source of comfort.
[noun] – all the people of about the same age within a society or within a particular family
The younger generations are aware of environmental issues.
[noun] – a substance made from a plant, used to give a special flavor to food
She bought several spices from the grocery.
[adjective] – (of food) not cooked
I eat a bowl of raw vegetable salad every day.
[adjective] – not different or special or unexpected in any way; usual
Kiarra enjoys painting ordinary objects.
1. Beef pho (phở bò) – Vietnam
©CNN via Leisa Tyler/LightRocket/Getty Images
The classic bowl of beef pho is filled with spices like cinnamon and star anise. Served with slices of raw beef cooked softly in the broth, it is considered Vietnam’s most beloved dish.
2. Chorba Frik – Algeria, Libya, and Tunisia
©CNN via Shuttershock
Eaten during Ramadan, this soup is made up of grains, tomato broth, stewed chicken, and chickpeas.
3. Chupe de Camarones – Peru
©CNN via Katherine Frey/The Washington Post/Getty Images
This soup is a specialty of Arequipa, a city surrounded by volcanoes. Chupe de Camarones has shrimp, potatoes, and corn.
4. Groundnut – West Africa
Groundnut is not your ordinary soup. It is made up of meat simmered into a thick peanut mixture.
5. Gumbo – United States
©CNN via Tom McCorkle/The Washington Post/Getty Images
This much-loved dish from Louisiana has tons of seafood, chicken, and sausages.
There is never a bad time to have a bowl of comforting goodness. Treat yourself to some of the world’s best soups now!
True or False:
- Beef pho does not have any spices.
- Chorba Frik is eaten during Ramadan.
- Arequipa is a city surrounded by volcanoes.
- Groundnut soup is from West Africa.
- Gumbo has tons of peanut mixture.
Fill in the blanks:
- All the ______ are inside the kitchen cabinet.
- We enjoyed eating _____ fruits during the summer season.
- Apple pie is my _____ food.
- The older ______ still read the newspaper.
- I bought an _____ jacket from the new store.