- What are some soup recipes that you know?
- What are some popular international restaurants in your city?
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt /
- gently /JENT-lee/
- traditionally /truh-DISH-uh-nl/
- consume /kuhn-SOOM/
- demonstrate /DEM-uhn-streyt/
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
They found ancient treasures in the abandoned hall.
[adverb] – in a way that is soft and light, not strong
She gently added the flour to the cake mix.
[adverb] – according to tradition; in a traditional way
Traditionally, they exchange letters on Valentine’s Day.
[verb] – to eat or drink, especially a lot of something
Ron consumed huge amounts of pastry during the party.
[verb] – to show or make something clear
Chef William demonstrated the steps in cooking a lobster.
1. Beef pho (phở bò) – Vietnam
©CNN via Leisa Tyler/LightRocket/Getty Images
The classic bowl of beef pho is filled with spices like cinnamon and star anise. Served with slices of raw beef cooked gently in the broth, it is considered Vietnam’s most beloved dish.
2. Chorba Frik – Algeria, Libya, and Tunisia
©CNN via Shuttershock
Traditionally consumed during Ramadan, this North African soup is made up of grains, tomato broth, stewed chicken, and chickpeas. It is often paired with a piece of Kesra bread.
3. Chupe de Camarones – Peru
©CNN via Katherine Frey/The Washington Post/Getty Images
This soup is a specialty of Arequipa, a city surrounded by volcanoes. Chupe de Camarones has shrimp, potatoes, and corn.
4. Groundnut – West Africa
©CNN via Shuttershock
Groundnut is not your ordinary soup. It is made up of meat, fish, or chicken simmered into a thick peanut mixture.
5. Gumbo – United States
©CNN via Tom McCorkle/The Washington Post/Getty Images
This American dish has tons of seafood, chicken, and sausages. The World Champion Gumbo Cookoff is an annual event in Louisiana where cooks demonstrate their soup-making skills.
There is never a bad time to have a bowl of comforting goodness. Treat yourself to some of the world’s best soups now!
- Describe Vietnam’s most beloved dish.
- When is Chorba Frik usually consumed?
- From which city is Chupe de Camarones?
- What can you find in a groundnut soup?
- What happens during the The World Champion Gumbo Cookoff in Louisiana?
- Have you tried any soup from the list? If not, which one would you like to try?
- When was the last time you had soup? How was it?
- If you were to create your own soup recipe, what would it be like? (Share its name and ingredients)
- Which soup do you think would be loved by people in your country?
- In your opinion, is homemade soup better than soup from the restaurant? Please explain your answer.