©REUTERS via BBC
- auction /AWK-shuhn /
- family /FAM-uh-lee/
- trace /treys/
- originate /uh-RIJ-uh-neyt/
- cosmic /KOZ-mik /
[noun] – a usually public sale of goods or property, where people make higher and higher bids (= offers of money) for each thing, until the thing is sold to the person who will pay most
They are selling period furniture at the auction.
[noun] – a group of things that are related or have similar qualities
The French language belongs to the Romance language family.
[noun] – a very slight amount
This dish has traces of cinnamon and honey.
[verb] – to come from a particular place, time, situation, etc.
Salsa originated in rural eastern Cuba.
[adjective] – relating to the universe and the natural processes that happen in it
Ben enjoys participating in cosmic discussions.
The gem is a member of the carbonado family, one of the toughest forms of natural diamond. Due to its traces of osbornite, a mineral found only in meteors, many scientists believe that Enigma originated from space. Carbonados are extremely rare and have been discovered in only two regions of the world—Brazil and the Central African Republic. Sotheby’s described it as “one of the rarest, billion-year-old cosmic wonders known to humankind.” The precise origin of black diamonds remains to be a mystery. Black diamonds are estimated to be around 2.6 to 3.2 billion years old – a time before dinosaurs existed.
- Have you participated in an auction? If not, would you be interested in participating in the future?
- Describe one of your country’s most interesting museums.
- What would you do if you discovered a rare gem?
- Do you believe there is life on other planets?
- In your opinion, how do scientific discoveries affect people’s lives?