©MATT MOSUR PHOTOGRAPHY via BBC News
I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Do you like reading books?
- What was your favorite children’s book?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- trouble /TRUHB-uhl/
- discover /dih-SKUHV-er/
- organization /awr-guh-nuh-ZEY-shuhn/
- recently /REE-suhnt-lee/
- habit /HAB-it/
[noun] – problems or difficulties
Rose has trouble looking for her favorite perfume.
[verb] – to find information, a place, or an object, especially for the first time
We discovered he has a talent for singing.
[noun] – a group of people who work together in an organized way for a shared purpose
The organization focuses on food supply to children.
[adverb] – not long ago, or at a time that started not long ago
Have you called your family recently?
[noun] – something that you do often and regularly, sometimes without knowing that you are doing it
She has a habit of staying up late at night.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
A new children’s book featuring drawings made by a 15-year-old girl with Asperger’s syndrome will help young people express themselves, the author says. Former teacher Rob Cowely and high school student Karmen worked together on “Red: A Manx Dragon Called Rufus”. The story is about a dragon who has trouble fitting in until he discovers his singing voice. Mental health organization Isle Listen will benefit from the book’s income. The organization already works with the island’s secondary schools but has recently visited primary schools. Asperger’s syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder defined by repetitive habits that makes it difficult for those with the condition to socialize with others. Mr. Cowely found working with Isle Listen to be a “natural fit,” as he had personal knowledge of the mental health difficulties that young people face during his time as a teacher.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- The drawings in the children’s book are made by a 15-year-old girl Asperger’s syndrome.
- Former teacher Rob Cowely and junior high school student Karmen worked together on “Red: A Manx Dragon Called Rufus”.
- No mental health organization will benefit from the book’s income.
- People with Asperger’s syndrome have difficulties socializing with others.
- Mr. Cowely has personal knowledge of the mental health difficulties that young people face when he was still a teacher.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- They _______ a problem in the newspaper article.
- My brother has a _______ of taking naps after meals.
- The _______ is in need of volunteers to help the elderly.
- Sora still has _______ speaking English fluently.
- I’ve been feeling motivated _______.