- Do you have any plans to migrate someday?
- Do you enjoy traveling?
- incredible /in-KRED-uh-buhl/
- obvious /OB-vee-uhs/
- appear /uh-PEER/
- period /PEE-ee-uhd/
- ahead /uh-HED/
[adjective] – extremely good
She had incredible courage and effort in overcoming her injuries.
[adjective] – easy to see, recognize, or understand
It’s obvious that she doesn’t care about him.
[verb] – to seem
Even if you’re afraid inside, you must appear cool in an interview.
[noun] – a length of time
Her job requires her to be away from home for long periods of time.
[adverb] – in or into the future
He couldn’t take the thought of a lonely year ahead of him.
Thousands of migrating birds pause in cities all over the world on their incredible journey of thousands of kilometers. It isn’t always obvious why they choose to live in cities. Some appear to be drawn to light. Others, like the Swainson’s thrush in its berry-filled bush, appear to be taking advantage of the bounty.
How can we make cities more like travel lodges for these animals instead of death traps? According to Morales, a doctoral student at McGill University, and her colleagues, Swainson’s thrushes stop in Montreal for remarkably extended periods of time, where many of the birds molt – a process in which the birds shed and regenerate some of their feathers. This will help them prepare for the long journey ahead of them.
True or False:
- Swainson’s thrushes migrate from the north to Central and Northern South America.
- Some Swainson’s thrushes stop in and around cities like Montreal for “pit stops.”
- Thousands of migrating birds pause in cities all over the world on their incredible journey of thousands of kilometers.
- Morales is a doctorate student at McHill University.
- Molting is a process in which the birds shed and regenerate some of their feathers.
Fill in the blanks:
- It’s __________ that no one saw the disaster coming.
- Things aren’t always what they __________ to be.
- We still have a lot of work to do __________ of us.
- The research will take place over a six-month __________.
- There is no __________ solution.