- Where do birds migrate?
- What birds have adapted to stay in the winter rather than migrate south?
- migratory /MAHY-gruh-tawr-ee/
- species /SPEE-sheez/
- evident /EV-i-duhnt/
- domestic /duh-MES-tik/
- feather /FETH-er/
[adjective] – a migratory bird or animal is one that migrates (= travels to a different place, usually when the season changes)
Sea eagles aren’t migratory, so once they’re gone, there’s no way to bring them back.
[noun] – a set of animals or plants in which the members have similar characteristics to each other and can breed with each other
Mountain gorillas are endangered species in the wild.
[adjective] – easily seen or understood; obvious
It was evident that someone had broken in.
[adjective] – belonging or relating to the home, house, or family
The machines’ size makes them unsuitable for domestic use.
[noun] – one of the many soft, light things that cover a bird’s body, consisting of a long, thin, central part with material like hairs along each side
This type of bird blends in well because of its dull feathers.
Thousands of migrating birds make pit stops in cities around the world on their remarkable journeys that can cover thousands of kilometers. Why they chose to live in cities isn’t always evident Some seem to be attracted to the light. Others, such as the Swainson’s thrush in its berry-filled bush, look to be enjoying the feast. On the other hand, cities are not always welcoming to visitors.
Some migrating birds are killed by domestic cats, while others collide with structures. So, instead of being death traps, how can we make cities more like travel lodges for these animals? Swainson’s thrushes stop in Montreal for surprisingly long periods of time, where many of the birds molt — a process in which the birds shed and regenerate some of their feathers — according to Morales, a doctorate student at McGill University, and her colleagues. This assists them in preparing for the long road ahead of them. It’s the same as obtaining a new set of tires for your vehicle.
- Based on the passage, what animals are becoming attracted to city life?
- How many migrating birds make pit stops in cities around the world?
- Why do migratory bird species choose to live in cities?
- Why do some migratory bird species die?
- Who is Morales?
- What animals that migrate do you know about? Could you tell me more about it?
- Why is it important for you to recharge your batteries? Please elaborate on your answer.
- If you were to migrate to a place, where would it be and why?
- Do you agree that we need to do something about migrating bird species?
- How can we make cities more like travel lodges for these animals, rather than death traps?